Thursday, August 27, 2009

Pintu's Diary

For past 15 days my City has been buzzing with rumors of attacks by a mysterious shadow. Apparantly, a dark shadow which sometimes assumes the shape of a large black cat attacks people sleeping on the roof or in the open. Things have become so bad that people have fallen off the roof and seriously injured themselves. Nobody sleeps in open anymore. The following is a fictional account of the events through a child's eyes. Please remember that this is a story and in no way true. The events and the eventual explanation exists in author's imagination only.

PINTU'S DIARY

Today was a good day. I spent the entire day on the roof flying kites. I like 15 August. Papa says we gained independence on this day. I like independence. I like kites more. No school today. I got twelve kites. Added to six I had they were eighteen.Three got torn.Seven were cut by other kite flyers. I am still left with eight. I too cut three kites. A good day. Sometimes I wish I had a brother or at least a sister who would hold the Charkhi while I flew kites. Still, sometimes Ramu (my friend) comes over to do it. But he wants to fly kites and I have to hold Charkhi.Lot of pigeons live on roof. A few crows come too. A big Kite (the bird and not the paper one) usually sits on the TATA SKY antenna. Kites eat pigeons. But not this one. It sits there kind of peaceful. Does not do anything the whole day. I like the roof. Nobody disturbs me here. Ma is calling me downstairs. Better go or she will be angry.

*****

I am sad. Someone has been killing pigeons. I often find feathers and spots of blood on roof. The place has become scary. It feels cold in afternoon also. I will not come here. I will not fly kites. I wish I had a big and strong brother.

*****

I have not gone to roof for many days. I have to sit in living room and listen to Ma and aunty talk. All day they talk about Churail only. There is churail in city. She comes in night and attacks people sleeping on roof. Did she kill the pigeons? I will not go to roof alone. But I am bored.

*****

The Tribune

Mystery cat terrorises city

Thursday (Our local correspondent)The city is buzzing with rumors of a Mysterious Shadow which assumes the shape of a wild cat and attacks sleeping people. A number of people claim to have been attacked. A few have shown unexplained scratches on their bodies. One girl was seriously injured when she fell from the roof after an alleged attack by the Mysterious shadow. The district administration has dismissed this as baseless rumor. The SSP when contacted said that he has issued instructions for effective policing in the effected area to restore people’s confidence. The president of local IMA has dismissed the rumors as phenomena of Mass Hysteria. As for the scratches he says they may be self induced.

*****

Pintu’s diary.

We have new neighbors. Actually, they have been here for a month. Aunty visited us today. I don’t like her. She has green eyes. I read in Harry Potter that witches have green eyes. In England the Churails are called witches. She has very red lips and pointed teeth. She asked me why I did not go to roof any more. She said she has often seen me playing on the roof as her window looks out to the roof. I ran to my room and did not come out till she was gone. I told Ma that she was a Churail and Ma laughed at me. Sometimes, grown ups are stupid.

*****

Ramu came today. We went to roof to play. All pigeons are gone. Where? Has kite killed all of them or is it the Churail? New aunty was looking at us from her window. She looked at us and licked her lips like a cat. I am afraid. We will not fly kites anymore.

*****

The Tribune

The cat hysteria continues

Saturday (Our local correpondent)The hysteria in the city about Mystery cat refuses to die down. Increased policing has not helped. There was a near riot in old city when two groups belonging to different communities clashed blaming each other for the menace. The District Magistrate and the SSP have appealed to all residents not to listen to or spread rumors. The City Rationalist Association has decided to start community policing to restore confidence in the populace. Meanwhile the number of people claiming to have been attacked by a large black cat, or a woman with flowing hair or a dark shadow keeps on increasing.

*****

Pintu’s diary.

I am bored as I have nothing to do. I don’t go to roof any more. Papa brought me a portable video game but I am bored with it too. Maybe I’ll go to roof tomorrow.

*****

I will not stay here. I will go to Mama’s House in Faridabad. Now I know who killed the pigeons. I also know who the Churail is. It is the aunty with green eyes. I was so bored in the afternoon that I went to roof alone. Ramu did not come and I don’t have a brother or sister. I was busy playing with Marbles when I felt cold. I felt someone’s eyes on my back. I turned and saw Aunty on her window. Her eyes were greener and lips redder than ever. She licked her lips the way a cat does. Then she smiled and called me. Her teeth were pointed like Dracula. And when she waved at me she had cat’s paws instead of hands. I ran and ran and shut myself in my room. She knows that I know the truth about her. And she will kill me. I will not stay here. But Ma will not believe me. Papa will laugh when I tell him what I saw. So I’ll cry and cry till they are forced to take me to Mama’s house in Faridabad.

THE END

No comments:

Post a Comment